Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's the small things . . .



the kids remember. I am not talking about my two precious children, I am talking about my students at school. Some days I ask myself, why? Why do I do what I do. Of course, it is not for everyone, like any job. After a busy week, crazy school schedule and a very hectic upcoming Friday, I decided to cook cupcakes at school. Our boys and our girls basketball team are both traveling to Troy tomorrow to play in the final regional game before traveling to B'ham for the final 4, so I thought I would bake cupcakes to wish them good luck. Who doesn't like a cupcake. As I am gathering my supplies needed, I remember it is also one of my students birthday today. I know every student has a birthday but this child is different. She is one of those people that I hope each person has in their life. She stops by to see me daily and gives my a hug and tells me how much she missed me from the day before. She ask me everyday if we can make "monkey bread" and she made me promise I would not have anymore children that would require me to miss school:) She also text me last night to be careful of the bad weather. So, out of the goodness of my heart I baked her and her classmates cupcakes to celebrate her birthday. I mean anybody can cook 96 cupcakes and frost them and teach 6 periods! Ok, I did not frost them, I had some wonderful students who did that for me. Sometimes I like being the boss. LOL
So, the time came for her class to meet and I told one of her friends my plan. She sits with her back to the door, so I motioned for all of the kids looking to start singing "Happy Birthday" as we walked in with the cupcakes. She was totally shocked and even begin to shed some tears of joy. To know this child and how bubbly and loud she is and then to experience her soft side and witness her feelings in front of everyone made my heart smile. It was not until that moment that it crossed my mind that several of these kids I teach daily may have never had a birthday cake, party, or even a family gathering. So many things I take for granted I am learning from these kids that they have never had the experience. I thank God daily for the children at school he has put in my path. There are days I want to SCREAM, days I want to cry and days I want to run home and hug my children and my loving husband and thank God for what my family has and the many blessing he has given us.
I dont generally blog about school or my students at school but today has been an eye opener to me. It is nice to know how something so small turned into something so BIG for someone. As she was wiping her eyes she said to the class, "These are tears of joy."
Tomorrow my husband and I will be traveling to Troy to support our Basketball program b/c so many parents dont go or they cant afford to go. I also go b/c it means a lot to the players to see that a teacher cares about them:) To be a teacher requires a lot more than just educating them and I enjoy that!
PS: Happy Birthday Josilyn

No comments: